Release: Millionaire Republican Finally Pays Debts After Political Pressure; Questions RemainSeptember 21 2012
ROCKY HILL—The Chris Murphy campaign released the following statement the morning after Republican millionaire Linda McMahon released a late-night statement reversing her 36-year position that she wasn’t going to pay back the people she owed even after making hundreds of millions of dollars selling sex and violence to children. This reversal is a clear attempt to distract voters and put this issue to rest following mounting political pressure, but many questions remain.
“This is just one more desperate attempt by Linda McMahon to remake herself and distract voters from her shady bankruptcy, her past at the WWE, her record cutting jobs, and her plans to cut taxes for millionaires like herself. But it’s not going to work,” said Eli Zupnick, a spokesman for Chris Murphy.
“Even after this stunning and desperate late-night reversal by Linda McMahon, questions still remain. Voters deserve to know who she still owes, how she plans to pay them back, how much, and why she only now decided to make right on her debts.
“Here are some questions that Connecticut voters deserve answers to:
- Linda McMahon says that she will locate and reach out to all individuals that she stiffed. What about the small businesses?
- Does she plan to pay back the taxpayers at local municipalities like West Hartford and New Britain?
- Has she actually paid back the IRS and can she prove that?
- When does she plan to pay these individuals back? Will she let Connecticut voters know when she does so they know this isn’t one more Linda McMahon political campaign lie?
- If she ends up paying anyone back, is she going to force them to sign non-disclosure forms or give up any other rights in return for being paid back almost four decades late?
- Why did she suddenly decide to pay these people back now? She has long-claimed to not have records of who she owed, but is it really possible that Linda McMahon couldn’t remember the names of just a few individuals?
- Finally, shouldn’t she have paid back the people she owed money to before going out and purchasing a power boat she named the “Sexy Bitch,” a Vegas condo, a Boca condo, two Bentleys and an Aston Martin, three motorcycles, a $7 million Greenwich mansion, and much, much more with her hundreds of millions of dollars?"